Area: Jekyll Island is approximately 7 1/2 miles long and 1 1/2 miles across. It is approximately halfway between Jacksonville and Savannah.
History:The first residents of Jekyll Island were the Guale and Timuncuan Indians. The Spanish may have had a mission here in the 1500-1600's. The English established the first outpost here in 1734, with the granting of the land to Maj. William Horton. A string of owners of the island followed, most notably the DuBignon family from 1800-1886. The Jekyll Island Club, comprised of some of the nation's wealthiest individuals, owned the island from 1886-1947, using it as a winter retreat. The state of Georgia bought the island in 1947 for $675,000.
Historic District: A 240-acre tract of the river side has been designated a National Historic Landmark. Cottages and other buildings from the Jekyll Island Club era are maintained there. Ten historic cottages, plus the old Club House (now the Jekyll Island Club Hotel), the wharf and several other buildings, are in this district.
Development: Under state law, only a certain number of acres, approximating 35 percent of Jekyll, can be developed. The remainder must stay in the wild or primitive stage.
Governing body: The Jekyll Island Authority, a nine-member state agency, governs the island. It appoints an executive director to oversee ongoing operations.
Police and fire: The Georgia State Patrol provides police protection. Jekyll Island has its own fire department with a full-time staff plus an active volunteer auxiliary.
Utilities: Georgia Power provides evectrical service. The Jekyll Island Authority provides water and sewer service and trash pick-up, including yard waste through a contract with Waste Management. Telephone, internet, cable and television are provided by various private companies.